Join My Mailing List!

My name is Jacqueline T. Lynch, author of Ann Blyth: Actress. Singer. Star.,
and I would like to invite you to join my mailing list HERE for updates, special offers, and a free eBook!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Sheet Music from The World in His Arms


This is the cover of the sheet music for the "The World in His Arms" by Frank Skinner and Frederick Herbert, from the film The World in His Arms (1952).  Mr. Skinner, of course, composed original music for film scores at Universal Studios for the better part of three decades.  Mr. Herbert also composed for film and TV.  We are indebted to an Ann Blyth fan named Elizabeth, who is also a fan of film scores, for sharing this really nice piece of film memorabilia with us.

The music is particularly lovely, and as I noted in my book, Ann Blyth: Actress. Singer. Star.:

Most especially lending a mood of almost unbearable longing is the theme song, composed by longtime Universal Studio score composer Frank Skinner that sounds like an old Russian folk tune, sweeping and mournful and heartbreakingly beautiful.  It serves as the leitmotif of the film that resurrects the lovers’ passion in pivotal moments and conjures the pain of hoping against all hope...
...It’s a shame that glorious tune was not released as a single, with lyrics.



This piece of sheet music proves me wrong: It was evidently published in conjunction with the film's release, as movie themes often were at that time, but we may note a slight discrepancy in lyrics.

Ann says in the film, when Gregory Peck asks her to translate the Russian verse she hums:

"'Wind of the north that comes from the sea, speak to my loved one and tell him for me...'
The words say that, 'I will always be waiting for him to take me into his arms, to kiss me.'"

The lyrics by Frederick Herbert as presented here are less atmospheric to the moment in the film, but it's nice to know that sheet music was made available.  I still wish a record had been released, but maybe someday someone will step forward and surprise me with a treasure from their attic?

In the meantime, thank you so much to Elizabeth for sharing this with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment