Join My Mailing List!

My name is Jacqueline T. Lynch, author of Ann Blyth: Actress. Singer. Star.,
and I would like to invite you to join my mailing list HERE for updates, special offers, and a free eBook!

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Ann Blyth's First Starring Role in Swell Guy (1946)

 


Ann moved quickly after her striking supportive role in Mildred Pierce (1945) to starring roles, and the first was this dramatic turn in Swell Guy (1946).  Here is a bit from my book Ann Blyth: Actress. Singer. Star.:


For those who remember Ann as the perpetual ingĂ©nue soprano of her 1950s musicals, Swell Guy reminds us that the evil Veda in Mildred Pierce was no one-off fluke.  A number of Ann’s early roles showcased her intuitive, earthy, and intense dramatic talent, though she was concerned about being typecast as a villain.  At this stage critics were calling her a young Bette Davis.

She received good notices.  Edwin Schallert of the Los Angeles Times noted:

Miss Blyth is reputed to give her most sensational performance in this…she has made a remarkable record in the midst of terrific emotional turmoil, and what is more, she is amazingly young to have encountered this…Her experiences have undoubtedly given her an unusual maturity in her work.


For more on the movie, and her career, have a look at 
my book on Ann's career -- Ann Blyth: Actress. Singer. Star.

eBook edition (Amazon)


print edition available at Amazon and also my Etsy shop.


Also available in eBook at:




For more on my other books and plays, please see my website: JacquelineTLynch.com  


No comments:

Post a Comment