Join My Mailing List!

My name is Jacqueline T. Lynch, author of Ann Blyth: Actress. Singer. Star.,
and I would like to invite you to join my mailing list HERE for updates, special offers, and a free eBook!

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Mildred Pierce (1945) lobby card

 


Ann Blyth co-stars with Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce (1945) today on Turner Classic Movies.  

From my book on Ann's career -- Ann Blyth: Actress. Singer. Star.:

[Director Michael Curtiz] had not wanted the “goody-goody” Ann for the role of the evil daughter Veda, either, and need not have considered her when a vast number of young starlets were clamoring for the role.  Ann’s agent, Al Rockett campaigned on her behalf, insisting that she be allowed to test.  In a most unusual occurrence, established star Joan made the test with her.  As quoted by Joan C. Scrivani in her article on Mildred Pierce for Scarlet Street, 1994, Joan remembered:

“I was there when Ann came in.  She was so lovely that my first reaction was she’s too sweet; she’ll never be able to play the bitchy scenes.  But we read together and she was wonderful.  Then we tested together.  Ann was perfect.  She was the right age, the right type, a superb actress and singer.”

The test was directed by Michael Curtiz.  Ann remembered for an interview with Jessie Lilley in Scarlet Street:

“We took scenes from the movie as though we were actually shooting the movie.  We just didn’t read for the part; we filmed the test.”

Curtiz later told her, “in his wonderful Hungarian accent, (imitating him) ‘Don’t worry Annie.  You haff de part.’”  He became one of her most favorite directors.

 

eBook edition (Amazon)


print edition available at Amazon and also my Etsy shop.


Also available in eBook at:




For more on my other books and plays, please see my website: JacquelineTLynch.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment